Re: [BKARTS] Markings on textblock

On Aug 15, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Kim Avagliano wrote:

One of the issues is removing the previous library's markings - unfortunately they stamped "Withdrawn" on all three sides of the textblock, on top of their name, in some type of permanent marking ink. We would like to remove it or cover it over. .............. I also tried to scratch off the markings with an exacto knife. That doesn't really work, damages the book and takes too long.
I appreciate any input you may have for resolving this cleaning issue."

You might try clamping the book in a press, and using one of the fiberglass bristle erasers (not sure of the exact name) to remove some of the marking (use the eraser along the edge of the paper, not across). The remainder of the marking could be hidden with an artist's acrylic paint (or watercolor or gouache) that is toned to match the paper --- this would be similar to coloring the edge of a book that is being bound.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020