Re: [BKARTS] author's rights

Hello.
This is really quite a large question and is more a legal issue than one of etiquette (as you write). In general a living author's (ownership) rights to their own work is exclusive, which means that, at the very least, you need to contact them or their agent for arrangements so far as printing their work is concerned before you undertake any project. Fee structres are wide and varied, but, if the author has representation, they'll bring you up to speed on this right away. If the author doesn't have representation you'll probably have more latitude with $ arrangements, and perhaps they'd entertain thoughts of sharing the proceeds in lieu of a cash payment. Since you have to absorb all of the expense (printing, advertising, etc) it is reasonable for most to assume that the author should not expect an equal share in the proceeds, though some do--one quarter is I think a fair request for profit sharing. If you can go down this road (payment as a percentage of proceeds) you can conceivably get more creative-- X% for the first 25 sales (or whatever) then escalating (2X%) for everything beyond this. Of course the printing aspects of this question are more manageable--there are some who would print an edition of, say, 100 (or some such number) of a finely printed broadside and then offer a signed version in a more limited edition.

I hope that these few thoughts are of some help.

John Ptak
Specializing in rare and significant works in the history of science as well as indelible and iconic images.

J.F. Ptak JF Ptak Science Books LLC & Longstreet Antiquarian Maps
8 Biltmore Avenue
Asheville, North Carolina
28801
USA
jfptak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx tel: 828.254.0081

Add me to your address book... Want a signature like this?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa Beth Robinson" <cholbrain@xxxxxxxxx>