[BKARTS] perfect labels and a gold stamping problem

    This is where creating labels with a Scharf-fix machine gives such beautiful
results.  I always create the leather label independently of the cover itself, and
glue the label to the spine after the book is assembled.  The label consists of
leather pared tissue-paper thin and backed with archival tissue.  This is
hot-stamped with the Kwikprint machine.  The label is then glued to the spine.  It
is undetectable.  The detailed procedure for doing this was communicated to
BOOK_ARTS by Frank Lehmann a year or so ago, and is archived on the BOOK_ARTS
discussion group.
    If I don't like the way part of the label turns out, I can a) either do a new
label; or b) redo part of the label and paste it on.
    Once you beginning making your labels independently of the book cover, you will
never go back to the old way of stamping the cover itself. In addition, the labels
can be of a different color of leather than the book cover, to produce dramatic
design effects.

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

 The Belgian surrealist painter Renee Magritte entered a cheese store in Brussels to
purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel from the front window,
but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back counter.