Re: [BKARTS] gold stamping problem

Hi TL,

I have been in your situation many times.

The most common accidents are misspellings or perhaps an inverted piece of type that goes unnoticed.

Removing the gold (I assume you were using gold foil not gold leaf) can be done pretty well with a product called "goof off". Most hardware stores carry it. It comes in a little yellow can with a squirt top - something like a cigarette lighter fluid can.

There is a problem of "delicacy" you will face. DO NOT squirt the goof off onto the date stamp.

Rather, wet the end of a round tooth pick with goof off and scratch the date numbers with the wetted end of the tooth pick. Try not to get too much fluid between the date numbers. It may also remove color or shine from the cloth or leather you have stamped.

Good luck.

Greg

Perhaps someone has an idea how I can salvage a
spine label I did: it took three stamps with a
Kwikprint: very long title, and the last stamp
was the year 2004.  All was lined up and beautiful
til I lifted the last stamp and saw that 2004 was
very muddy and gold run together.  I tried picking
at it to ease off some gold, I tried flanneling,
and it just won't 'unmuddy'.  I can't bear to
scrap the whole cover and wonder if there is a
way to maybe sand off the year and try again or
an easier way to get the gold off the existing
numbers...  Thanks in advance for any ideas!
TL Herbert
herbertL@xxxxxxxx