[BKARTS] ProScope copy stand

.

Over the past couple of years, many Rare Book School (RBS) participants have had an opportunity to see our Bodelin ProScope digital microscopes in action; cf

http://www.theproscope.com/about.html

The ProScope enables convenient 50X magnification of flat objects, and it is very handy indeed for illustration process identification and the creation of .jpg files of same.

The basic ProScope kit now generally sells for about $250 (e.g. from Cyberguys.com). The LX-ProScope Kit, with more convenient software, two lenses, and a carrying case, costs about $520 (e.g. from Small Dog Electronics).

We have found the optional ProScope stand (generally about $160, but $128 from ecost.com) of very limited use; it is hard to adjust -- and hard to keep adjusted.
We've recently found a much cheaper and much more workable copy stand for $47 delivered. The copy stand column holds the ProScope steady in any position on its base, and it's easy to adjust the unit up or down to get exact focus.
The maker (Charles F. Willard, 1335 Third Avenue [210], Longview, WA 98632) puts one of his copy stands up for sale on eBay from time to time; cf

http://cgi.ebay.com/COPY-STAND-FIXED-S-H-UNIQUE-DEVICE-BEST-EBAY-PICTURES_W0QQitemZ7537090761QQcategoryZ629QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mr Willard tells me that will sell his copy stand (either directly or using the eBay Buy It Now option) for $35.50 plus $11.50 shipping to anyone who mentions the RBS name. Email <mailto:mrmrswillard@xxxxxxx>mrmrswillard@xxxxxxx, phone 360-636-4246.

A well-made bargain; recommended.

Terry Belanger : University Professor : University of Virginia : Rare Book School
PO 400103 : Charlottesville, VA 22904-4103 : Email belanger@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Telephone 434-924-8851 : Fax 434-924-8824 : URL <http://www.rarebookschool.org>