Re: [BKARTS] nitrophenol

I have worked now with hide-glue for more than the last 20 years and never seen the need to use a fungicide.
My Hide glue comes from a barrel which was originally destined for the
Huebel & Denk Dampfbuchbinderei and has had a delivery date from Oct.18, 1898.
I'm running low now though.

If you have mold growing in your hide glue pot, than because you had impurities added, either through using tap water or bad house keeping:)

charles

------------------------------------ L.A Book Arts, Inc. The Custom Bindery Krause Intaglio 310.360.7265 www.Custombindery.com ------------------------------------ On Aug 24, 2005, at 6:09 PM, J. J. Foncannon wrote:

Dear Don:
I'm contemplating its use both for the preservation of the prepared glue, ad for
the prepared book.
Best wihses,
Jet

Don Rash wrote:

Jet,

What aspect of hide glue leads you to consider adding a fungicide: problems
in the shop or relating to potential future problems for the finished book?

Don Rash

J. J. Foncannon wrote:

Does anyone have any experience in using nitrophenol as a fungicide?

   Specifically, how much (tsp/cup)  of the crystalline nitrophenol
should I add to already prepared hide glue?

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

The Belgian surrealist painter Renee Magritte entered a cheese store in Brussels to
purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese. The owner pulled a wheel from the front window,
but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back counter.
“But they are identical,” the owner protested.
“No,” Magritte insisted. “This one’s been stared at.”