Re: [BKARTS] nitrophenol + suggestion

On Aug 25, 2005, at 2:17 PM, Don Rash wrote:

.......... adding something to the glue won't necessarily prevent said critters
from munching or taking root on some other component. I think there's
not much we can take to enhance the longevity of our work .......
I agree. And, what do we know about adding nitrophenol for longevity of the paper? --- maybe it's a bad additive. As far as I know, nitrophenol was not added to glue in the olden days.

Don Rash also wrote:
I'd rather fire up the gluepot every couple of days when the weather gets subtropical or, worst case, make up a fresh batch.

I would like to suggest:
Most of the glue pots that are available seem to be too large for my purposes. I had been looking for a small, double-boiler that I could use for hot glue. After much searching, I then realized that maybe a light bulb would be sufficient for keeping glue at the right temperature.
Then I happened upon the new, scented waxes (like Yankee Candles) that are becoming very popular. Instead of burning a candle, the scented wax pellets are placed in a warming dish that uses either a candle, an electric hot plate, or a small watt light bulb.
I purchased a ceramic warmer with a 40 watt light bulb as a test for gelatin.
A small 1.5 oz. stainless steel, butter cup is set into hot tap water in the ceramic cup that is part of the unit. With an aluminum foil lid, the water and the gelatin seem to maintain 145 degrees F, which seems ideal for glue. The light bulb acts as an indicator light when the unit is "On" --- (I did not want to use a candle, nor the hot plate type that only has a tiny indicator bulb.)
When the glue is not being used, the butter cup can be placed in a refrigerator (maybe even in the freezer) to slow or prevent mold growth.

Bill Minter