Re: [BKARTS] ink on plastic

If you do use inkjet methods, this can be done with pre-coated substrates. But you need to use specially coated materials or precoat the substrate with a coating such as inkaid, which Dorothy Simpson mentioned. But if you google inkjet coated mylar, you will easily find some already coated for you...

diana jeon, a newbie who is happy to know something i am able to share here!

On Aug 28, 2005, at 10:06 PM, auhteg wrote:

I don't think there's a way - at least not an easy way - to make printing on
transparencies permanent. I mention the backlight film because we use that
for printing our films for shooting polymer plates or photointaglio plates or
other things that need a really sensitive image. When we need something
better than that, we send them to a place that commercially produces them
through some kind of photographic process, and even those can be scratched
off, so...

Abby
(Maryland Institute College of Art)

________________________________

From: Book_Arts-L on behalf of Sandy Olson
Sent: Sun 8/28/2005 8:36 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] ink on plastic

The mylar that Charlene is talking about is coated for digital printing. The
coating is so that the image created when run through a inkjet printer has a
surface that will hold it. It can be marred and is usually coated. Backlit
film is similar, also coated for printing. I have not tried to write directly
on it but it would make sense that it would hold ink.
Sandy