Re: [BKARTS] MSDS nonsense

Whenever I introduced a new chemical treatment to my employees
I flagged the relevant page of Lange's _Handbook of Poisoning_
and made them read it.  If, after reading the entry, they decided
against using that chemical, that was alright with me.

I learned early on that some people are sensitive to chemicals, and
that what did not affect me, physically, could affect other people.

In addition to Lange, my reference collection contains over 2 dozen
toxicological books, among the most useful of which are:

_The Merck Index_
_Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials_ by N. Irving Sax
_Clinical Toxicology of Commercial Products_
_Artist Beware_ by Michael McCann
_Health Hazards Manual for Artists_ by Michael McCann
_Bacterial and Mycotic Infections of Man_, Rene J. Dubos, ed.
A 16 disk set which includes all of the MSDS files accessed by
first responders to a disaster scene.  A lot of MSDS files.

When I began the study of conservation, in the early '70s, one of
the first things I did was read all of the back issues of the AIC
(American Institute of Conservation) newsletter.

An interesting thing became clear as I read obituaries.  Most of
the painting conservators were dying in their 50's-60's; while
most of the others were dying in their 80's-90's.

Painting conservators handle more chemicals in the course of a
treatment than most of the rest of us, and they were generally
more casual about safety precautions than most of us are today.

Foncannon is right; too much is made of some things in use in
daily life.

Butter used to be bad; now it is good.  Coffee used to be bad;
today's news said it is good; the more the better!  Up to a point,
of course.  Like ethanol.  You know - beer, wine, whiskey.

Read, learn, think.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick