Re: [BKARTS] MSDS nonsense

	Jack Thompson's posts was one of the most interesting in this
discussion.  It illustrates how deficient humans are in their
apprehension of risk.  Several years ago, workers at the Rohm and Haas
chemical plant in Philadelphia began to develop a virulent form of lung
cancer called oat cell cancer.  It turned out that this was due to their
exposure to an acrid gas with a suffocating odor, dichloromethyl ether.
(This is simply the anesthetic ether with each ethyl group replaced by a
methyl, and each methyl group chlorinated.)  The workers had been
furnished with protective gear, including respirators, but after several
week of working around the substance, they had dispensed with their
masks and would joke with each other, coughing,  while the agent would
boil up from large reactors.  People can understand at one level the
risk of working with harmful substances, but after a while the perceived
risk dwindles.  Enduring the assault of the harmful agent is considered
a macho thing to do.   This is one of my gripes about the MSDS:  its
suffocating technical detail doesn't elucidate risks;  it obscures them.
 The other references Jack provides are much better.
	I have a friend who works for a large Ford dealership.  The dealer does
collision repair and general painting of autos.  When I visited him in
his office, I noticed that his office and all other offices in the
building reeked of amyl acetate and other esters present in car paint.
He and his coworkers suffered this exposure day after day, year after
year.  These are very reactive chemical compounds.  I doubt whether he
and his coworkers even smelled them any longer.
        Another example:  if you would explain to people that exposure
to the sun would result in a melanoma rate of 1 person in 10, the
beaches in the summer would be bare.  However, binge drinking of ethyl
alcohol is probably indulged in by 45% of college students, and of those
perhaps 1 in 5 will become alcoholic later in life.
        Go figure. I'm sure psychologists have written a large number of
research papers on this topic.  Perhaps it's because scientists such as
myself don't explain the concept of risk to people in a way that they
can understand it.
        Bookbinders work with solvents and, in my view, these are the
most dangerous of the substances we use.  It is an absolute necessity to
maintain robust ventilation in the workplace.
        It's interesting that painters (except for the self-destructing
ones) live forever (Matisse, Picasso) while, as Jack points out,
conservators have short life spans.  My suggestion is that painters have
less exposure to solvents than conservators.  Although paints can be
very toxic (cadmium compounds), the absorption is minimal compared to
that of solvent inhalation.

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel
from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the
back counter.