From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Linda M. Cunningham
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:25 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Crafts Report and

Mark Hill wrote:

>The Crafts Report is available at most Barnes and Nobles and Borders.
>Also you can subscribe online at www.craftsreport.com

It was at McNally Robinson, my local independent bookstore, here in
Calgary as well (and at Chapters/Indigo): Mark's book caught my eye
and I quickly snapped up their penultimate copy.  ;-)

Wish they had more Canadian listings, though....

Carol Pratt <jcpratt@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I used to be a textile artist and I did some dyeing, although I did not

>use the powdered Procion or any of the acid dyes.  Most people I knew
>who did use them worked outside.  Procion is/was available already
>mixed, I thought.

Care is essential, and I always wear a mask when using powdered or
ground dyes on my fibres (wool mostly, but also mohair, angora, and
various camelids), even "natural" ones.  I've always found it easiest
to do a quick session outside, making stock solutions of the
colour(s) I want to use, and then bring them inside to
paint/speckle/dribble or whatever.  That being said, living in an
apartment has driven me to use more non-toxic substances.

Including, and don't laugh, commercial-grade food colouring, such as
pastes (i.e., Wilton: you water them down) and liquid -- Costco and
Superstore Club (and, I would assume, Sam's Club in the US) stock
these in 500 ml bottles for fractionally more than the small "colour
my icing" bottles -- and KoolAid.  It's fun playing with the colours
(both in the dyeing and spinning) although I don't work hard enough
to make my results reproduceable.

Back to lurk mode....
Linda