[BKARTS] photopolymer negatives

I guess I'll respond to this on list -

Hi Marnie,

I use all kinds of film material for making p. plates:

- For fine typographic work I use output from a service bureau, although service bureau is the old term that produces linotronic output, now I go to a business that uses a digital film printer and they don't tend to call them service bureaus anymore - at least around my area. I'm hoping that soon there may be less expensive printers that do film output for individuals to afford. A service bureau or business that does digital film output should all be able to set there machines to a proper negative/film density.

- I also have used copy cameras in the past with ortho/litho film and developed myself, this is great if you've got access to one.

- Photocopies on acetate are great to use, but the toner density is not very dark, so it's more of an experimental process. You can set the machine to really dark which helps, but you can also do two of the exact same copy and line them up - doesn't always work though if you don't get it lined up properly.

- Laser prints, etc. are similar - there is a product called 'Laser Buddy' that you can spray on to darken up toner areas. It works great, but is tres toxic.

- You can even use text/image that is on regular old copy paper and oil it with veg. oil and get some interesting affects.

There are lots of other experimental techniques for blocking light, but I think I'm getting off of your question.

If you are having problems with getting negatives from a business that outputs film - you should try switching businesses if you can - they should be able to set their machines to the appropriate density. As for cost it is $15 for me to get an 8.5 x 11" sheet of film made - I've seen it fluctuate up or down a few dollars, but it's usually about the same and has been pretty consistent here for many years.

Hope that helps. You could also look on the photopolymer list group archives, it's a yahoo group and there's lots of good info there.

Inge

Inge Bruggeman
1017 SE 34th Avenue
Portland, OR  97214