[BKARTS] New Jersey Book Arts: Opening and reading

Rutgers University Libraries are pleased to announce that on September 20,
2005, it will open an exhibition of artists' books by the German book
artist, Ilse Schreiber-Noll, at the Dana Library, Rutgers-Newark. Ms
Schreiber-Noll, who is an instructor in the Scool of Art and Design at
Purchase College, often works in collaboration with poets, some of whom
are among the most honored poets of our time, including Joseph Brodsky,
Robert Kelly and Galway Kinnell. As part of the festivities, Mr. Kinnell,
winner of the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award for poetry, and
currently a Chancellor of The Academy of American Poets, will read
selections from his work, including the recent translation of Rilke's
"Duino Elegies," which Ms. Schreiber-Noll, who will read from the original
German, has made the basis for a one-of-a-kind book. The opening begins at
5:30 and ends at 8:00, with the reading planned to start at 6:00. For
those of you who do not know Kinnell's poetry, there is a live recording
of his reading "After Making Love We Hear Footsteps" at
http://www.wnet.org/foolingwithwords/main_video.html, courtesy of WNET New
York, and Bill Moyers' "Fooling With Words."

A poet who exemplifies what might be called the shamanic vision of poetry,
and thus is loosely affiliated with such 20th century American figures as
Allen Ginsberg, Gary Snyder and Robert Bly, Kinnell is the author of nine
books of poetry that contain a surprising number of essential lyric
poems--"The Bear," "The Porcupine," "Fergus Falling," among others. I
cannot swear to it, but it is my impression that in 1975, if you began
walking west from Columbia University, following a course that led from
one college campus to another, you could have gotten all the way to
Berkeley without having once gone out of earshot of somebody reciting "The
Bear."

No RSVP is necessary, and I look forward to seeing everybody there.

Best,

Michael Joseph
Rutgers University Libraries
169 College Ave