[BKARTS] "This (chuckle, chuckle) is working very well for archives""

[Forwarded from the H-France List]:

The Society for Southwest Archivists
(http://herbie.ischool.utexas.edu/ssacares/) has been posting updates
on both archivists and archives effected by Hurricane Katrina.

Information about Tulane is also available through
http://emergency.tulane.edu.  The Tulane campus was apparently spared
from the flooding but archive personnel have not been able to get back
to the campus to assess damages caused by the hurricane.

Preliminary reports indicate that the New Orleans Public Library has
probably been the hardest hit.  Its archive of city records, including
court cases involving slavery and petitions for freedom from the early
nineteenth century, are housed in the basement of a building not too
far from the Superdome which did experience flooding.  The loss of
these records would be just one more tragedy on top of all the
suffering we've seen on our televisions this last week.

Jennifer Spear
University of California, Berkeley

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
Forthcoming: Museum, INC.: Inside the Global Art World (Prickly
Paradigm Press)