[BKARTS] Los Angeles Book Arts Center - Fall Schedule

Los Angeles Book Arts Center - Sept-Dec 2005 Schedule
Please visit _www.LABookArts_ (http://www.LABookArts)  for full  descriptions
and further info. or call (310) 657-2616.

Problem Solving with Gloria Helfgott
Contact Gloria Helfgott  at (310) 666-9003 to make an appointment.

Wednesday, Sept. 14
A Day at  the Cerritos Library
Tour of the Cerritos Library Artist's Book  Collection
The Cerritos Library has an excellent, and growing, collection of  artist's
books.  Please join us for this free tour, hosted by Stanley  Strauss.
Reservations required
Free
Tour begins at 3pm
Please RSVP  via phone or email to Dawn Henney (310)914-1898

Wednesday, Sept.  14
Straight Talk About Selling Artists’ Books

7PM at the Cerritos Library
Please call to reserve your spot via phone (310) 914-1898 or e-mail
_dhenney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:dhenney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Saturday, Sept. 24
Boxmaking with Charlene Matthews
9:30am to  4:30pm

Saturday, Oct. 1
Practical Book Binding Techniques with Tania  Baban

Sunday, Oct. 2
West Hollywood Book Fair
Free

10 AM to 6 PM
West Hollywood Park
647 North San Vicente Blvd.

Saturday, Oct. 14
22 Accordion Folds with Dawn Henney
9:30am to  4pm

Saturday, Nov. 12
More Mechanical Tightbacks with Charlene  Matthews
9:30am to 4:30pm

Other Events

Saturday, Sept. 17
Frederic W. Goudy  Lecture
Humanities Auditorium, Scripps College
A Personal Perspective: An  Attempt at Innovation and
Inventiveness.   Joan Michaels  Paque
7:30pm, free and open to the public
Further Information: Kitty  Maryatt (909) 607-3866 or
KMaryatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Saturday and  Sunday, Sept. 17-18
Frederic W. Goudy Workshop,
Experience and Explore  Kinetic Pleat Folds and Tessellations with Joan
Michaels  Paque
$175
Further Information: Kitty Maryatt (909) 607-3866 or
_KMaryatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:KMaryatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Tuesday,  Sept. 20
Lecture
Robin Price
Purposeful Chance in Contemporary Artists’  Books (Thank You, John Cage!)
Library Conference Center, Young Research  Library, UCLA
Robin Price will discuss artists’ books in which chance or  randomness is
integral to the conception, execution, or reception of the  work.
Historical examples, as well as Price’s own work will be shown.   Books from
UCLA Library collections will be on view.
4pm to 6pm
Please  RSVP by September 15 to (310)825-1201
Additional details at  http://www2.library.ucla.edu/celebration/

Tuesday, October 25
The  Ukulele Book Workshop
6pm - 9pm
Cerritos Library
18025 Bloomfield  Avenue
S. of Artesia Blvd., E. of Pioneer
Cerritos, CA  90703
For  reservations, please call (562) 916-1388. For further
information, call  (562) 916-1346
---------------------

HANDMADE BOOKS  WANTED!

Each year the Los Angeles Book Arts Center participates in a  number of
programs around town where we set up a booth to attract membership  and
workshop participants. Major events include, but are certainly not  limited
to, the Edible Books High/Low Tea, the Los Angeles Times Festival of  Books,
Feria del Libro and the West Hollywood Book Fair. This year we would  like
to update our booth and incorporate a wider variety of editions made by  our
members reflecting the varied types and techniques associated with the
bookmaking process. We are seeking donations of books made by  you!

Here is the schedule:

Sept-Dec 2005 Schedule

Problem Solving with Gloria Helfgott
Opportunity Knocks! You?re in the middle of a project and just realized you have an engineering problem and don?t know how to resolve it. Or, you have a project
in mind but can?t get a grip on the best content or structure to express it. Or, you?ve created a prototype but need suggestions on how to make it "come
alive."

This is an incredible opportunity to confer with a problem-solving expert. Gloria Helfgott is offering one-hour consultation sessions to anyone who has
problems to solve or wants to talk through a project and bounce ideas around. Gloria has over 20 years experience in teaching book arts throughout the United States at Bennington College, the University of Utah, Women?s Studio Workshop, New York, the Center for Book Arts in New York, and the
San Francisco Center for the Book, to name a few. Her work is included in most contemporary book art collections, among them the Victoria and Albert
Museum, UCLA Special Collections, the Brooklyn Museum of Art, and the National Museum for Women in the Arts.
The fee is $100/hour - which Gloria is generously donating to the Los Angeles Book Arts Center.
Contact Gloria Helfgott at (310) 666-9003 to make an appointment.

Wednesday, Sept. 14
A Day at the Cerritos Library

Tour of the Cerritos Library Artist?s Book Collection
The Cerritos Library has an excellent, and growing, collection of artist?s books. Please join us for this free tour, hosted by Stanley Strauss.

Reservations required
Free
Tour begins at 3pm
Please RSVP via phone or email to Dawn Henney (310)914-1898

Wednesday, Sept. 14
Straight Talk About Selling Artists? Books

Please join Bill and Vicky Stewart of Vamp and Tramp Booksellers in an open-forum discussion about the business of artists? books. They will talk about the various choices in the marketplace, and what directions an artist can take. They will give special consideration to these four basic questions:

   Why do you want to sell?
   What are you selling?
   Who will your buyers be?
   How are you going to do this?

Free
7pm

Cerritos Library
18025 Bloomfield Avenue
S. of Artesia Blvd., E. of Pioneer
Cerritos, CA  90703
Phone: (562) 916-1340

Saturday, Sept. 24
Boxmaking with Charlene Matthews
Learn to measure, cut, construct, and cover a drop-spine box and slipcase for your book works. You?ll also learn variations on this theme: window
cut-outs and compartments, and a number of covering tricks that will send you rushing home to immediately incorporate into your own art and book work.
9:30am to 4:30pm
Class fee $105 ? Nonmembers, $85 ? Members
A $25 materials fee payable to the instructor at class time

Saturday, Oct. 1
Practical Book Binding Techniques with Tania Baban
A great class for beginning book artists. Learn to make 3 different structures using basic bookbinding techniques: exposed spine journal, hard cover photo book and accordion star book. Class size is limited in order to optimize one-on-one time with the instructor.
Class fee $105 ? Nonmembers, $85 ? Members
A $25 materials fee payable to the instructor at class time

Sunday, Oct. 2
West Hollywood Book Fair
The West Hollywood Book Fair was founded by the City of West Hollywood in 2002 to encourage reading, writing, and literacy in West Hollywood. The Los Angeles Book Arts Center is pleased to participate in this fun event. Once again we have book arts activities for all ages. For more information, call Dawn Henney at (310)914-1898 or Lisa Deutsch at (310)657-2616.

Saturday, Oct. 14
22 Accordion Folds with Dawn Henney
This workshop involves hands-on exploration and development of artists? books using the versatile accordion fold. Accordion fold books require a minimum of materials and equipment, allowing both experienced and novice students to create innovative structures. Students will learn how to fold and score paper, to incorporate multiple folds into unusual formats, and how to make a book into a sculptural object.
9:30am to 4pm
Class fee $95 ? Nonmembers, $75 ? Members
A $20 materials fee payable to the instructor at class time

Saturday, Nov. 12
More Mechanical Tightbacks with Charlene Matthews
The Mechanical Tightback is a Sixteenth Century binding found in archives and records collections. This simple, utilitarian binding works well for diaries, journals, sketchbooks, photo albums, scrapbooks, and so much more. Charlene has some new twists to offer those who have taken the class before but beginners are also welcome.
9:30am to 4:30pm
Class fee $105 ? Nonmembers, $85 ? Members
A $25 materials fee payable to the instructor at class time

Saturday, Nov. 26
4th Annual LABAC Holiday Sale
Please join us for another day of great book and paper art made by members of the Los Angeles Book Arts Center. Please contact Dawn Henney at (310)914-1898 if you are interested in participating.
10am to 4:30pm
Place yet to be determined

[...]

Nationally renowned book artist Peter Thomas will lead a hands-on
workshop to create a unique book structure - the Ukulele Book. The
ukulele form contains an accordion fold book to which participants can
add text or images at a later date. Music and refreshments will
accompany the event. Images of Peter's ukulele books are available at:
http://www.baymoon.com/~ukulelebooks/

The event is $10 for Cerritos residents and $15 for all others. Seating is limited. For reservations, please call (562) 916-1388. For further information, call (562) 916-1346

---------------------

HANDMADE BOOKS WANTED!

Each year the Los Angeles Book Arts Center participates in a number of programs around town where we set up a booth to attract membership and workshop participants. Major events include, but are certainly not limited to, the Edible Books High/Low Tea, the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, Feria del Libro and the West Hollywood Book Fair. This year we would like to update our booth and incorporate a wider variety of editions made by our members reflecting the varied types and techniques associated with the bookmaking process. We are seeking donations of books made by you!
Categories include:
Traditional case bound
Open spine
Accordion
Altered book
Pop-up
Pop-up Box
Historical reproductions
Leather bound
Star
Japanese stab
Flag
Piano hinge
Sculptural
Many others
These books will be on display wherever we set up the LABAC booth and will be tagged with the author?s name and type of book represented. They will be handled extensively by the public to encourage workshop sign-ups and should be able to stand up to some abuse. They will not be returned.
Occasionally patrons ask for contact information about purchasing the book or others you may have. Please let us know if we have your permission to forward inquiries on to you as well.
If you would like to participate, please bring your creation to one of our upcoming events or classes, or you can mail it to our address:
Los Angeles Book Arts Center
2265 Westwood Boulevard, #274
Los Angeles, CA 90064-2016
Thank you for your contribution.