Re: [BKARTS] Secret Belgian binding on boxes

Cara,

Thank you so much, someone just sent me to your pictures and your work is just beautiful. I really like how you used the twigs in your bindings. It was very helpful to see how you handled your boxes too, I had been thinking about what to do about the spine piece but now I can see that as long as you are weaving up and down at each opening you don't even need the 3rd piece. Very helpful - thank you again! This will be fun to see what I can do with it.

Christine

Hi Christine,
You can see those boxes, and other variations I've done, on my web site: http://faenwyl.photosite.com. The boxes are essentially the Secret Belgian cover but unattached to a text block; the "spine" in this variation is the hinge, and the "front and back covers" are the back and lid of the box. I've altered the sewing pattern a little so it's more stable, but the basic pattern will work just fine.
Have fun with it,
Cara http://faenwyl.photosite.com

I just completed a kit from Quietfire Designs of Hedi Kyle's Secret
Belgian exposed binding.  After the 3rd attempt on the lacing I
finally got it right!  I like it well enough to experiment with.  I
could swear I saw some boxes that had used this same technique to
attach the lid but for the life of me I can't find them to look at
now.  Does this ring a bell with anyone here?  I'm sure I didn't
dream it!
  I could probably figure it out for myself but a picture, as they
say, is worth a thousand words.  It has been a lot time since I have
made any boxes.  Also, has anyone done any other interesting things
with this binding?  Would love to see it if you have posted any pics.

Belgian Eyelet Kit photo:
http://www.quietfiredesign.com/
byhandproductspaperkits.html#belgianeyelet

Thanks!
Christine
Santa Fe, NM