Re: [BKARTS] procion dyes etc.

All very true. When I studied textile arts years ago we were very carefully instructed in the safe and proper way to handle Procion dyes. You just can't be too careful.

And this not even to mention the toxic effects of cadmiums. Some historians speculate it was cadmium poisoning that made Vincent Van Gogh go mad and mutilate himself. My oil painting teacher was very careful to inform new students of how important it is not to let cadmiums stay on the skin, and to try not to get them on you at all. Very quickly absorbed.

Making Art shouldn't kill you.

Christine

Marian Clayden, the fairly well-known textile artist and designer, started many
years ago with dyeing, discharge dyeing, and burn-out. After a few years, she
developed a severe "sensitivity" to the chemicals and had to have that part
of the work done by others (hopefully with sensible precautions!)

Folks, it's not like a one-time exposure is going to kill you, but the
cumulative effects of "whatever" could actually end up preventing you
from doing what you love! (I was very interested in printmaking at one
time until I found out their life-expectancy wasn't that great. Maybe it's
different now with acrylics, but the inks used in printmaking have a
deleterious effect on the liver)