Re: [BKARTS] Johnson Edition

On Sep 14, 2005, at 9:11 AM, John Ptak wrote:

Regarding the Johnson: is this a 12-volume set, pub by Deighton (Cambridge)? I'm surprised, really, that the pages have yellowed if it is the (above) set, and I'd be warry of spenidng allot of energy rebinding them. The Collected Works from this period (1790's-1820's) that are bound in 10 or 12 or so volumes and in the original cloth and (not luxurious) leather are generally available for 1000-2000, though some are findable for less.
Best
John Ptak
JF Ptak Science Books
----- Original Message ----- From: "J. J. Foncannon" <bolu.bolu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 11:59 AM
Subject: Johnson Edition

A bookseller has just given me (for a mere $10) a complete collection
of the works of Samuel Johnson, dated 1811, published in GB The covers
of these books have completely disintegrated, and I am considering
recasing the entire set, in leather bindings.
The pages of the books have undergone considerable yellowing, and I
really don't want to go through all the trouble of recasing the set if
the paper won't last. It could be that the yellowing condition doesn't
necessarily mean that the pages are due to disintegrate in the near future.
Does anyone know what sort of paper was used in books of this period?
--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel
from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the
back counter.
"But they are identical," the owner protested.
"No," Magritte insisted.  "This one's been stared at."