Re: [BKARTS] Johnson Edition, revised

I agree with what James says about the value of the set (and it's use as
"furniture."

And, in general, rag paper was used in publishing until the late 1830s
when they figured out how to make paper from wood pulp (and used
chemicals in the new process). The yellowing and acidity present in the
paper probably comes from the environment, the tanning chemicals
leaching from the old leather binding, and heat or exposure to light.
This paper isn't as likely to crumble as paper from the latter part of
the 19th century (or the 20th century) will.

I'd say do it only if you love Samuel Johnson and want to save the set
for yourself in spite of it not being worth much $.

Best wishes,
Karen

Karen Lightner
Curator, Print and Picture Collection
Free Library of Philadelphia
1901 Vine St., Philadelphia, PA 19103
215-686-5405 (voice), 215-563-3628 (fax)
LightnerK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx