[BKARTS] Upcoming Workshops at the Center for Book Arts

Greetings from the Center for Book Arts:
Coming up this fall at the Center is a wide selection of exciting workshops, including:

LO-Tech/ HI-Quality Photopolymer Platemaking: For the Text and Image Generation
This class will appeal to a variety of people interested in letterpress printing: from graphic designers and illustrators to printmakers, fine artists, calligraphers, and more. All levels are welcome to explore an array of options for turning image and text into the medium of print. We will focus mostly on alternative photopolymer platemaking techniques, including how to get set up to make quality plates without a lot of expensive equipment. We will not only look at equipment options but also investigate a variety of echniques for platemaking and ways of exploring the process itself. Once the technical aspects are covered, class participants will make a series of prints combining text and image to exchange with one another.
October 1-2, Saturday and Sunday, 10 am to 4pm
Inge Bruggeman $230 members/$245 non-members

Islamic Codex
This course is an introduction to early Arabic binding techniques. Students will complete a codex with a folding case in Moroccan goatskin. Along the way we will hand-sew chevron headbands and refine our leather paring skills. The binding will be completed with tooling, inlaying and onlaying of leather. Prerequisite: Bookbinding I
October 7-November 4, five Fridays, 10 am to 4pm
Gavin Dovey $450 members /$475 non-members plus $50 materials fee

You can register online at http://www.centerforbookarts.org/newsite/classes/ or over the phone at 212-
481-0295.

You can also request a paper catalog to be sent to you in the mail.

Sarah Nicholls
Program Manager
The Center for Book Arts
28 West 27th Street