Re: [BKARTS] Blue Bayou

Just to clear the air, which seems to need to be done alot here recently, My comments about the usefulness of art materials for children post trauma were not refuting Mr. Werner's comment which I di not even receive but rather some of the later responses. I do wonder why every discussion lately has to end up in insults.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul T Werner
  To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 1:03 PM
  Subject: Blue Bayou

  > I believe Mr. Warner was doing was using the tragic event
  > as an opportunity to sound off on his personal philosophy on
  poverty.

  My article referenced serious arguments about the roots of poverty and
  the system of social welfare, many of which have been developed by
  respected scholars who have been my friends for years. I had a long
  discussion with one such scholar, a tenured professor of Social
  Policy, before posting my article. Of course I take full
  responsibility for the final result. I realize this can be confusing
  for those among us whose idea of an authoritative source is Rush
  Limbaugh.

  Incidentally, my article does not say that art is useless; or that
  traumatized children cannot benefit from art activities. And from all
  the reports I've received the response from Houston, at all levels of
  the educational system, has been exemplary.
  Hey, kids: can you say "Needs Assessment?

  Paul T Werner, New York
  http://theorangepress.com

  WOID: A journal of visual language
  "Museum, Inc.: Inside the Global Art Worl" (November 1 from Prickly
  Paradigm Press)