Re: [BKARTS] How to remove clear plastic tape

Lighter Fluid is the best thing, believe me!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Levy" <levybooks@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] How to remove clear plastic tape

Try VM&P Naptha (hardware or paint store). There are a couple variations of adhesive for plastic tape, differing mostly by when the tape was made, but Naptha usually softens the adhesive enough to lift the carrier layer (plastic). Warm micro spatulas work well too, but tend to also leave adhesive. After the carrier is removed the rest of the adhesive can be removed with alternately using naptha dampened cotton, then dry cotton to actually do the "lifting" of the adhesive.
If the tape has been there for a while the adhesive can change it's nature ( it's called cross linking). This is when the adhesive tends to become dry or hard. This often browns the carrier, adhesive and the paper. If it's been this way awhile, the browning tends to remain to some degree, even when the adhesive is adequately removed.

Bruce