From: Book_Arts-L on behalf of james tapley
Sent: Wed 9/21/2005 9:51 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] advertising my skills

Hi Carole... glad that you are growing more confident about your
work. Do you have a business phone with yellowpage listing?The best
advertising really is word of mouth so contact every religious
bookstore (they get inquiries for Bible restoration and such) and
new, used, or rare book shop anywhere within a couple hundred miles.
Also the libraries and commercial bookbinders. A simple web search
will bring them up.
Make up a flyer with a before/after pic, some basic info about
yourself and your work (everyone wants to know how much and how long
mainly) and then mail it (if you can't visit in person) with a few
business cards to everyone you can locate. They will be very, very
happy to learn of you and have someone to refer their customers to.
Lastly find your area's antiquarian book dealer association. Beyond
contacting their members make a point of visiting their next book
fair and introduce yourself to everyone. Its a small world and word
quickly gets about.  You didn't ask but whatever you are charging now
add 20% because none of us ever charge enough. Best.

James Tapley
Hand
Bookbinder
2077 13th Street