[BKARTS] Scripps College Press Program

Dear Book Arts People,

I've just returned from being a visiting artist/teacher at Scripps College in Claremont , CA.
They have a unique press program that, I think, is worthy of study. In 1986
Kitty Maryatt became director of Scripps College Press and instituted
a program of collaborative books. Two books are produced each year by the
typography class. Advanced students produce books as independent study
projects. Prof. Maryatt also accepts independent study in type design, book
structures, calligraphy and artist's books. What is remarkable about this is
the professional quality and originality of the books produced.

Thirty eight books have been produced in the last nineteen years. There is
an impressive list of institutions that have purchased these for their
collections including MOMA, N.Y., Victoria and Albert Museum, London,
Library of Congress and numerous universities. How fortunate these students
are to be getting this kind of experience. It's what education should be all about.
Foe more information contact Kitty Maryatt at KMaryatt@ ScrippsCol.edu
or www.scrippscol.edu/~dept/art/press/index.html

Being,
Joan MIchaels Paque