Re: [BKARTS] bookcloth search: why not?

As a conservator I would not recommend this method (especially for heirloom items), unless you can do testing on what exactly "double tak" is made of. Many products claim they are "acid-free"but this only means that they are in the ph 7 range at the time of manufacture, not that they will have long-lasting acid-free properties. Even if the adhesives are innocuous, if the core of the double tak is PVC then it will lose plasticisers and turn yellow and brittle over time. For an interesting article on similar materials used for quilting check out the most recent issue of the Journal of the American Institute for Conservation.

Also 'archival' is not a controlled term, so anyone can use it without it actually meaning the items will last. Caveat emptor!
Lee

>>> bolu.bolu@xxxxxxxxxxx 09/22/05 9:27 AM >>>
Making your own bookcloth is the easiest thing in the world, and it
gives you access to an infinitely more varied selection of fabrics than
ready made bookcloths offer.
1) buy fabric;
2) buy archival double tak (say, at http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply-stores/online/4058);
3) attach double tak to fabric (Takes 10 seconds).

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel
from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the
back counter.
	"But they are identical," the owner protested.
	"No," Magritte insisted.  "This one's been stared at."