Re: [BKARTS] bookcloth search: is anything safe?

	I found Lee Churchill's posting interesting enough that I looked up the
reference he mentioned, "Journal of the American Institute for
Conservation,"  44(2005)27-38.
	This is an eye-opening article, and anyone involved in book repair,
conservation, or bookbinding would find it interesting. Although
nominally the article pertains to adhesives used in quilting, the
results are applicable to any craft or profession which uses modern
adhesive products. It also contains many references to previous studies
on the durability of adhesive products.
	The conclusions of the article:  spray adhesives are associated with
significant yellowing and strength loss over time. (In my own work I
have found these products completely unacceptable.) The use of fusible
battings (here I'm thinking of making your own bookcloth) is acceptable
even for items belonging to museum collections, but fusible webs are
acceptable only for items lasting less than 100 years.
	The authors sometimes found it difficult to discern the composition of
the products they tested, even though they used a variety of very
sophisticated analytical techniques. Products based on acrylics are
perhaps the longest lasting, but manufacturers consider the formulation
of their products proprietary.  Formulations may change without warning,
and the ingredients are never listed on the label.
	The message is:  nothing is permanent. For instance, although archival
quality PVA has been used successfully for 30-40 years, it has
drawbacks.  For instance, it becomes brittle with age. I have a friend,
a greatly esteemed bookbinder trained in Palermo, who uses (and taught
me to use) half PVA + half wheat paste for all adhesive needs.  He works
for the Rosenbach Museum and the University of Pennsylvania rare book
collection.  Will his work stand the test of time?  We just don't know.
In the BOOK_ARTS archives is a process for making bookcloth using PVA
alone, but do we have any  assurances that such bookcloth will last?
	Several months ago someone in this group said, "If it's not wheat based
glue or hide glue, I'm not interested in it."  Yes, it's a jungle out there.

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139