Re: [BKARTS] Conservation question regarding scotch tape

Hello,

A question regarding scotch tape on an old leather bound book. I know scotch tape was recently dealt with on the list and a seeming consensus reached on the use of naptha for its removal. I have two questions regarding scotch tape on leather, well worn calf to be precise. One, if scotch tape has been on a book long enough to stain the leather, besides being rather unsightly, is there any further damage the scotch tape is likely to cause? And two, is the use of naptha still suggested for use on a book well over a hundred years old? Is there any likelihood of damage to the leather from its application? Thanks in advance to any help that might be offered. - Chris Lura