Re: [BKARTS] non-flattness in leather covers

Im Prinzip ja, aber... Environment will have a huge effect on how a book reacts, but it also that as binders we have the ability to control how dynamic the shape of our books is. I love to bind in vellum, the most dynamic material and can control the shape of a book as it takes part in a multi-venue traveling exhibit, perhaps one of the toughest things one can do to a binding. As Bill Minter just said,

Moral of the story, know your materials and use that knowledge wisely to your advantage.

That comes with experience AND keeping careful notes of what works and doesn't based on observation. Included in that is knowing what adhesives to use with what and why. Grain direction also plays a role. How much moisture is introduced? Are materials stretched when damp? How are things dried? ...

These things all play an important role. For kicks, but keeping notes, run some experiments. Let us know what you (collectively) find out.

p.

Comments so far, with some exceptions, seem to imply that a final state will be arrived at once the binding is finished and dry. But isn't it true that shape of our books is dynamic?

Regards,
Don Drake

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC