Re: [BKARTS] non-flattness in leather covers

Greetings,

Here is an example from our experience to show how "climatic" changes very much affect the stability of the covers.

Some years ago, we did a half leather quarto binding of an organisation's Minutes. We reproduced the style of the previous years' Minutes' bindings, done by the previous binder, who, if memory serves, was my teacher, who had passed over to bookbinding heaven. The boards were three sixteenths of an inch thick (nearly 5 mm). The binding was completed, and allowed to settle before being collected and placed on the customer's shelves in a building in the city.

About a year later, we visited their premises to collect other material for binding. We noticed that the boards of the binding of the abovementioned book had warped. I suspect that the client hadn't noticed it, but we certainly did. After a little reflection, it became clear as to why this had happened - the volume was housed in an air conditioned building. It had been made at our workshop which certainly is not air conditioned, but undergoes all the vicissitudes of the natural climate changes, which, in this part of the world (Sydney), is temperate, with few extremes.

We leant from this: to always note where the volume will be housed, and to take appropriate measures during the binding process. In our experience, boards are less likely to flex if they are strong and rigid - well lined, often twice on each side.

Peter Krantz
Book Restorations
Sydney