[BKARTS] RBS receives $333K NEH Challenge Grant

The following message has been sent to the Book_Arts-L, ExLibris, and SHARP-L electronic bulletin boards:

The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) announced today that Rare Book School (RBS) has been offered a $333,000 challenge grant by the NEH Challenge Grant program.
RBS must raise $1 million in non-federal funds on a 3-to-1 matching basis to receive the full amount of the NEH offer. Most of the $1.33 million total will go directly into RBS's permanent endowment, which should top the $2 million mark by mid-2009, when Terry Belanger expects to step down as the director of RBS. Income from the enlarged RBS endowment will support new programming, faculty salary enhancement, and scholarships.

NEH Challenge Grants are offered only when NEH funds will make a significant improvement in humanities programs, help institutions carry out long-term plans for strengthening their basic resources and activities in the humanities, and enhance financial stability through increased non-federal support. In this cycle, first-time recipients of NEH Challenge Grants, all of whom must raise non-federal funds on a 3-to-1 matching basis, include Alaska's Anchorage Museum of History and Art, California's Asian Art Museum of San Francisco, the National Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington, DC, Maine's Old York Historical Society in York, Pilgrim Hall Museum in Plymouth, MA, and Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI, as well as RBS.
"The humanities convey important stories of our world, and today's NEH grant recipients are deeply engaged in advancing those stories through scholarly research, increased efforts to preserve our cultural heritage, and new public programs that engage our minds and broaden our understanding of human history," said NEH Chairman Bruce Cole. "NEH supports projects that are rigorous, wide-ranging, and substantial in their examination and illumination of the great events and great ideas of the past in our own nation and throughout the world."
In this award cycle, scholars and institutions in 43 states and the District of Columbia received support from the NEH. A complete state-by-state listing of grants and offers is available in three Adobe PDF files: Alabama to Illinois (10-page PDF), Indiana to New Mexico (9-page PDF), and New York to Wyoming (11-page PDF).

   http://www.neh.gov/pdf/june2006_ALtoIL.pdf  (AL - IL)
   http://www.neh.gov/pdf/june2006_INtoNM.pdf  (IN - NM)
   http://www.neh.gov/pdf/june2006_NYtoWY.pdf  (NY - WY

The 171 new NEH grants and matching offers come from five of the Endowment's major program areas--challenge grants; federal/state partnership; preservation and access; public programs; and research programs. For more information about the current cycle of NEH grants, see
http://www.neh.gov/news/archive/20060608.html

Terry Belanger
University Professor, Honorary Curator of Special Collections
Director, Rare Book School : University of Virginia
Rare Book School : PO 400103 : Charlottesville, VA 22904-4103
Email belanger@xxxxxxxxxxxx : Phone 434-924-8851 : Fax 434-924-8824
URL <http://www.rarebookschool.org>

Flag Book Bind-O-Rama and Exhibit
Entry Deadline, September 15, 2006