[BKARTS] Introductory papermaking class in January at the Papertrail in Waterloo, Ontario

The Papertrail is holding a one-day introductory papermaking course in January. We don't have a specific date chosen yet, but it has been narrowed down to a single-day course on a Saturday, so the possible dates are January 5th, 12th, 19th, or 26th.

The class covers basic papermaking using western sheetforming from commonly-available commercial pulps, and consists mostly of workshop time punctuated with short lectures or demonstrations to introduce each new topic. In addition to teaching basic equipment, terminology, and sheetforming technique, we touch on many papermaking topics, including differences between various pulps, common pulp additives, paper sizing, pigments, pressing and drying paper, the action of the hollander beater, decorative inclusions, watermarks, pulp casting, and pulp painting. Questions about these and other topics are encouraged. Because this is only an introductory course, we do not have time to discuss these topics in depth but the level of detail of each topic will be determined by class interest. Each student has their own work station and can expect to make 30-60 sheets of 5x7" paper and will also have the opportunity to make larger sheets or envelope blanks at a shared work station.

The class will be held at our store located at 4-135 Lexington Court, Waterloo, Ontario, and normally runs from 9am to 4pm with a lunch break although these hours are also somewhat flexible. The class fee is $76.00 per student including GST and all materials.

If you are interested in taking this class and are able to attend on any of those dates, please tell us which dates work for you and we will try to finalize the class schedule to accommodate you.
-Audrey Hollinger
 the Papertrail Handmade Paper & Book Arts