To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:31 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] wood engraved blocks, mostly 19th century

I am offering a collection of wood engraved blocks. Attached is an example: a proof I pulled last week.

The blocks listed below come from Arthur W. Rushmore who died in 1955. He was employed at Harper Brothers from 1903 to 1950; he became the Art Director and was eventually on the Board of Directors. These blocks were deacquisitioned (thrown in the trash) and he saved them from being destroyed. He shared some with friends and artists. I know of some exchanged with Bernard Brussell-Smith and I heard that he and J.J.Lankes did the same. There are a few blocks that are from 20th century artists. These blocks were cut for Rushmore's Golden Hind Press.

I priced the blocks according to age, content, quality of engraving, size and condition. After evaluating the price of each and tabulating the total I deducted 20% from the total price to offer a fair price for the entire lot.

I am selling this for the family to help support Delight Rushmore Lewis who is now 95 years of age.

There are 199 blocks total. The following is a broad listing of subject matter with some dates and a few sizes of note:

20th Century Blocks (The Golden Hind Press):

5 by John DePol (early)

4 by Harry Cimino

4 by J.J.Lankes

2 abstact designs of unknown creation

19th Century Blocks (Harpers Monthly):

30+ from 1854-5 for W.M.Thackeray's "The Newcomes"

10 Portraits

1 by Harley (Revolutionary War battlefield scene)

1 of the cover of Harper's (6.5" x 9")

Many farm and woodland scenes.

Many bucolic scenes from the 1864 article about the War of 1812. This series of articles was a revisit to the sites important in that war. The scenes depicted were the sites as they appeared in 1864.

1 of a map - "Operations at Sackett's Harbor May 1813"

3 scenes appear to be a cave

Several western scenes (1 of which appears to be a hold-up)

15+ architectural scenes ( Colonial and Early American homes and log cabins)

7+ Tombstones and Memorials (some from the series of 1864 articles about the War of 1812)

2 large (4.75" x 7.75") of "Tryste Noel," 1892

8+ scenes of the Arab world

1 moderate size (4.75" x 6.25") neo-renaissance, Bible scene with black letter text

1 of 3 women on the shore in traditional folk dress in Dalaclara (Dalarna), Sweden (1883)

1 of British armies preparing for battle

1 (4.5" x 7.7" - with indents at head and foot for text) of a potter at his wheel

1 of large, ocean waves washing away buildings on stilts

1 of 2 flying squirrels (one is in-flight) among leaves in tree (with multiple indents for text to wrap)

Price available upon request
F.O.B. New York

If you need more specific information, please let me know your requirements. A full inspection is certainly possible here at my home and press.

Best,

Leonard Seastone
The Tideline Press
631.589.5706