[BKARTS] New from Convivio Bookworks: Occident to Orient

Book Arts Folks:

John Cutrone here, from Convivio Bookworks in Lake Worth, Florida. We approach, again, another solstice, another meaningful time to send another new project out into the world. And so Seth and I are pleased to announce our newest limited edition broadside, one that we send out in the spirit of timely peace and goodwill, a meaningful token of words on paper.

	OCCIDENT to ORIENT
	by Zaid Shlah

"We are writers and printers, a street of booksellers and readers was attacked and many were killed and wounded, and we are responding the best way we know how, by doing what we do." --Beau Beausoleil

On March 5, 2007, a car bomb was detonated on Mutanabbi Street, the centuries-old center of bookselling in Baghdad. In an attempt to bring something positive out of the destruction, a group of some 50 letterpress printers around the world gathered together to create the Mutanabbi Street Coalition. The Coalition's goal was to respond to the tragedy with positive creativity: by printing the work of Iraqi poets and supporting Doctors Without Borders (a non-profit agency working to relieve suffering in Iraq and in other troubled areas of the world) through the sales of these broadsides.

Seth and I worked with poet Zaid Shlah on a beautiful piece in four movements called "Occident to Orient." The complete poem was printed letterpress in an edition of 100 illustrated copies on deckled Somerset paper. We printed it by hand on the Vandercook 4 Proof Press. Each broadside is signed by the author.

A significant portion of the edition was given to the Mutanabbi Street Coalition for the group's fundraising efforts, and for what remains, we, too, are donating 10% of the purchase price directly to Doctors Without Borders.

It was an honor to work with Zaid and to be associated with all of the poets and printers that together make up the Coalition, and we are honored now to share our work with you:

http://www.conviviobookworks.com

From our homepage, click the "Our Catalog" link, then "Letterpress Broadsides." This is a rather special piece to us, and we hope you'll feel the same. Printing it, and pondering it later, I am reminded to count my blessings, as we get a chance to respond in the best way we know how, by doing what we do.

peace goodwill thank you
John

"Thank you, and write when you can." Convivio Bookworks John Cutrone & Seth Thompson, proprietors Inspired goods from around the globe and close to home... Books and broadsides, made by hand in Lake Worth, Florida. http://www.conviviobookworks.com