Re: [BKARTS] Boston

-----Original Message-----
From: K M <cyanotype@xxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 6:57 pm
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Boston

On Nov 13, 2007 1:00 PM, de Grace, Monique <mdegrace@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I will be visiting Boston over the holidays and wonder if anyone can
> recommend bookbinding-related exhibits/events in that area.

I know of three book-arts exhibits that will be on display in the
Boston area at that time (well, one is in Providence, not far). I've
listed them all below.

In the Allston section of Boston, an exhibit opens tomorrow:

"Beyond the Book" book art and collage exhibit, opening reception Sat.
Nov. 17th from noon till 2:00 p.m.

Hours and directions for the Honan-Allston Branch of the Boston
Public Library can be found at http://bpl.org/branches/allston.htm

If you get a chance to get down to Providence RI (1.5 hr drive from
Boston) do go see:

"Altered Books: Transitions & Transformations", an exhibition of work
from the Book of Hours series by Sherrill Hunnibell,
November 19, 2007 through January 25, 2008 at the Fleet Library at Rhode
Island School of Design, 15 Westminster Street, Providence, RI.

For further information, call 401-709-5927.

(in Boston suburb)

The Wellesley College Library is pleased to announce a new exhibition:
"Ingredients & Implements: The Raw Materials and Tools of Books"
A Joint Book Arts Lab and Conservation Facility Exhibition
Crozier Reference Room, Second Floor of Clapp Library, Wellesley, MA
Through December 20, 2007

This exhibit features the raw materials and tools used to make books by
hand. Plant fibers, pigments, parchment, bone, type, ink, leather, cloth
and gold leaf are displayed in conjunction with the tools used to make
these materials into the information transmission device we call the
book. The materials and tools were selected from the working resources
of the Conservation Facility and the Book Arts Lab on the Fourth Floor
of Clapp Library. Emily Bell, Senior Library Associate/Conservation,
and Katherine McCanless Ruffin, Book Arts Program Director,
collaborated on the exhibition.

Visitors may view the exhibit any time Clapp Library is open. Hours and
directions can be found online at:
http://www.wellesley.edu/Library/hours.html

On the Fourth Floor of Clapp Library, you may see two additional exhibitions:

"Transfigured Texts" Exhibition cases outside Special Collections
An exhibition of books from Special Collections featuring original
editions alongside subsequent editions and interpretations of the text,
including fine press books and artists' books. Through December 2007.

"Broadsides & Books Printed by the Students of Arts 107 Book Arts
Studio" Exhibition case outside the Book Arts Lab. An exhibition of
work produced in a hybrid history of the book and
hands-on studio class taught collaboratively by Ruth Rogers, Special
Collections Librarian, and Katherine Ruffin, Book Arts Program
Director, in the Spring of 2007.