Re: [BKARTS] Faraday

Dear Teri,

... and to add to the story, this is an extract from a talk I gave in Dallas a few years ago on archival leathers.........

"As early as 1842, the Athenaeum club in London wanted to know why the leather on the books in their library (and incidentally the leather that also covered their reading chairs) was breaking down. It fell to several of the Athenaeum's more well-know members, Professors Faraday and Brandt and Dr. Prout to discover the reasons. They discovered that the atmosphere in the library was highly acidic due to the impurities given off by the newly installed gas lighting. Others at the same time had come to similar conclusions and appropriate methods of venting the offending gases were installed."

I understand that Al Capone was also a bookbinder in his early life. I suppose that being a gangster was more exciting and/or lucrative!

best wishes for Christmas and the New Year

David

David Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.
sales@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.hewit.com
Mobile: 07947 754842
Voice Mail: +44 (0) 1280 709701
Skype Name: davidlanning

Edinburgh Numbers
Tel: +44 (0) 131 449 2206
Fax: +44 (0) 131 451 5081

Registered Office: Kinauld Leather Works, Currie, Edinburgh, EH14 5RS - Registered in Scotland No SC16424

----- Original Message ----- From: "Teri L Herbert" <herbertl@xxxxxxxx>