Re: [BKARTS] Faraday

Ammonia came to be added to illuminating gas to neutralize sulfur,
but the problem was not completely solved.

Some seventy years later the U.S. Bureau of Standards was to publish
methods for detecting acidic and alkaline gases.

Technologic Papers of the Bureau of Standards No. 20:
"Determination of sulfur in illuminating gas," by R.S. McBride &
E.R. Weaver.  1913.

And No. 34, in 1914:
"Determination of ammonia in illuminating gas," by J. D. Edwards.

But by this time electric lighting was in wide use in public buildings
in the U.S. and Europe, so curators, librarians, and building engineers
could focus their attention on cleaning the air inside buildings.

Jack

>Dear Teri,
>
>... and to add to the story, this is an extract from a talk I gave in Dallas
>a few years ago on archival leathers.........
>
>"As early as 1842, the Athenaeum club in London wanted to know why the
>leather on the books in their library (and incidentally the leather that
>also covered their reading chairs) was breaking down.  It fell to several of
>the Athenaeum's more well-know members, Professors Faraday and Brandt and
>Dr. Prout to discover the reasons.  They discovered that the atmosphere in
>the library was highly acidic due to the impurities given off by the newly
>installed gas lighting.  Others at the same time had come to similar
>conclusions and appropriate methods of venting the offending gases were
>installed."
>
>I understand that Al Capone was also a bookbinder in his early life.  I
>suppose that being a gangster was more exciting and/or lucrative!
>
>best wishes for Christmas and the New Year
>
>David
>
>David Lanning
>J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.

Thompson Conservation Lab.