Re: [BKARTS] sharkskin and what?

I had asked the list for recommendations for buying shark leather. As a result of comments on this list and my own research, I purchased leather from Implora (Implora.com). Easy-to-use-website and the leather came in a timely fashion. I found the leather easy enough to work with, the rubbery nature being less of an obstacle than its unevenness and deep texture. The latter traits made it more difficult to stamp nicely. In any case I was able to pare it as needed and the stamping worked ok, though it took more pressure than goat or calf. I didn't do any hand titling on it. As a result of warnings on this list, I avoided turning the leather to any great extent. Looking back on it, I don't think it would have been a problem, just more paring. It may be difficult to do onlays, because of it's texture. And, one more thing, when the leather is moistened from applied paste or PVA, it expands a lot, so that needs to be considered when working with it.
Vernon Wiering

BTW, here are a couple links to pics of the completed project, a box of cherry, with accents of shark, and hand carved spine with "rope":
http://wieringbooks.com/temp/penniman.open.jpg
http://wieringbooks.com/temp/pennimanft.jpg