Re: [BKARTS] topic laundering money -- Dry Cleaning

Thank you this is extremely helpful.

I did run across the 'changed formula' problem when i was researching skum-x. apparently that was a big deal.
the company who makes my special gum erasers for me, are grinding my ground gum eraser product.
Most of my customers aren't too wound up about fine particles getting stuck in the paper matrix.

j. godsey

William Minter wrote:
Some of the scoop might be:
The Canadian Conservation Institute has done extensive research on various erasers that are used for dry cleaning. They also examined the dry cleaning pads. There were a number of concerns:
One was the presence of "brown-black particles which also contained iron".
Another concern was the very fine particles that could not be removed from the paper fiber matrix even after careful brushing.
While another finding was that some particles were natural rubber that would turn brown as they aged.
In 2001, the Canadian Conservation Institute published "Technical Bulletin No. 11" DRY METHODS FOR SURFACE CLEANING PAPER.
The publication states: "A number of products are available in art or drafting supply stores, but analysis has shown that some commercial products contain abrasives and some have changed in composition or manufacturing method without a corresponding change in product designation; therefore, these commercial products may not be reliable."
Sadly, even the tested and accepted erasers, i.e. Satedtler Mars Plastic and Eberghard-Faber Magic Rub 1954 erasers, have changed over the years. There is a need to retest these previously "accepted" erasers.
Bill Minter