[BKARTS] Speedball press

This question is probably more of a printmaking question than a book one. I have done some searching in the Blair and other press sites but couldn't find anything. I recently acquired a Speedball press that doesn't work very well. It is cast iron, about 10 inches long and 6 1/2 inches wide. It has a lever device to raise the top plate with a duel spring return. It weighs about 10 pounds. I tried to get into Speedball's site but was unable to do so. The problem is that the top plate doesn't move freely in a level manner. It is tilted about 15 - 20 degrees. Nothing I have tried will get the top plate to become level. It is in good condition with very little rust. I tried some silicone spray but did nothing to loosen the action. I would like to know more about this press and more importantly how to get the top plate to retract and press down in a level manner. I would like to use the press for small runs using my hand made paper.

Thanks

Tom