Re: [BKARTS] Speedball press

I have one of those too and gave up on it a year ago. : ( Did you try spraying it with WD-40, letting it sit for a while and then seeing whether it will move more freely? I'm not sure they're designed that well.

What my beginning printmaking teacher showed me how to do was make an inexpensive two-piece plywood jig (like two L's), clamped to a wood or masonite board, that holds the block face up and another, separate cardboard jig/template you tape on top of that for the paper registration. One L is permanently fixed near the corner of the board, the other you attached to the board with screws or something. (you might have to shim the blocks a bit to hold them in there squarely - I found some of the blocks I was using weren't perfectly square : [ ) Then I just use the back of a large metal spoon or my baren to rub the paper down on the block. Someone told me the paper takes the ink better if you gently moisten it a bit with a fine spray mist first but I haven't tried that because I'm concerned about it drying unevenly or buckling... When I was doing the Friends of the Forest Preserve calendar project earlier this year I tried a lot of different things and the jig and baren approached worked the best. But I was working with thin mulberry paper. Don't know how it would work with thicker handmade ones...

Kathy G