Subject: Removal of casein adhesives and paints

Removal of casein adhesives and paints

From: Adam Karpowicz <akarpowicz>
Date: Tuesday, December 5, 1995
oil paint, I would suggest to try mildly acidic (ph>4) solutions,
such as formic or acetic acids with an addition of a detergent ot a
solvent to improve wettability. I found such solutions effective,
although slow acting, for removal of protein-based overpaints,
especially so in this case, where the layer of casein should contain
acid soluble carbonates.

Adam Karpowicz

                                  ***
                  Conservation DistList Instance 9:47
                Distributed: Wednesday, December 6, 1995
                        Message Id: cdl-9-47-003
                                  ***