Subject: Storage of nitrate negatives

Storage of nitrate negatives

From: Chesley Engram <cengram>
Date: Monday, July 6, 1998
The National Library is considering vacuum-sealing cellulose nitrate
still-camera negatives for storage in appropriate freezers.   Does
anyone have recent experience with this method?   We would also like
advice on the most appropriate packaging material and whether
double-sealing is advisable.

We are looking at vacuum-sealing because of difficulties in
maintaining a controlled environment in our designated storage area.

Chesley Engram
Preservation Services
National Library of Australia

                                  ***