CONSERVATION POLICY AND THE EXHIBITION OF MUSEUM COLLECTIONS
The following are recommendations for further development of the field of conservation of exhibitions:
- Establish a new professional category—Exhibition Conservator—in the larger institutions that organize or participate in exhibition programs.
- Increase conservation budgets and human resources to carry out the necessary investigations, and applied research studies on:
environmental norms for different categories of collections;handling and packaging systems for collections during travel;condition reports and standard reporting vocabularies;fragility indicators for museum objects and works of art;case design for modular display units that can travel.
- Develop closer contact with architects, and museum designers to put into effect the ICOM-Mexico recommendations (1968).
- Develop revised and up-to-date conservation criteria and procedures for collections on display and for travelling exhibitions.
- Compile technical information on instrumentation, devices, materials and supplies useful for preservation of collections on display and for travel.