Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


A pointed tool used in bookbinding for piercing holes in paper for fold sewing, side sewing, or for punching holes in boards preparatory to lacing-in. Awls are available with different points and shapes for different uses; a straight, relatively blunt awl is used for punching holes in boards, while a curved and relatively sharp one is used in sewing. (183 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

Timestamp: Saturday, 19-Nov-2011 13:18:38 PST
Retrieved: Sunday, 22-Sep-2019 22:48:31 GMT