Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


The degree to which a material, such as cloth or paper, impedes the penetration of an aqueous or nonaqueous liquid. If the liquid is water, or water vapor, holdout is described as SIZING (1) . Non-aqueous liquids include some printing inks, lacquers, etc.

[Search all CoOL documents]

Timestamp: Saturday, 19-Nov-2011 13:18:42 PST
Retrieved: Sunday, 21-Jul-2019 21:53:10 GMT