Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


1. A relatively simple piece of machinery used to apply pressure evenly over the surface of a material, e.g., one of the various screw presses used to keep a book or books in position under pressure to effect adhesion of pasted or glued adherends, or for some other purpose. See:ARMING PRESS ;BACKING PRESS ;BUNDLING PRESS ;FINISHING PRESS ;HYDRAULIC PRESS ;LYING PRESS ;NIPPING PRESS ;PNEUMATIC PRESS ;REMOVABLE PRESS ;

STANDING PRESS . 2. The machine, or apparatus, used to press paper onto the type, plate, engraving, or block. 3. In a papermaking machine, a pair of rolls between which the web of paper is passed in order to: remove water in the wet press, smooth and level the sheet in the smoothing press, or apply surface treatments to the sheet in the size press. (17 , 156 , 261 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

Timestamp: Saturday, 19-Nov-2011 13:18:44 PST
Retrieved: Thursday, 19-Sep-2019 22:54:39 GMT