Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

tub-size press

A sizing device that is usually part of the papermaking machine. It is essentially a vat (tub) which contains the size, and a set of vertically oriented rolls. the lower part of the unit being immersed in the size. The paper is sized as it travels through the papermaking machine. Sometimes a set of horizontally oriented rolls is used and the size solution is then pumped into the "valley" created on both sides of the paper. The tub-size press is designed for relatively heavy applications of size to paper. See also: SURFACE-SIZE PRESS . (17 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

Timestamp: Saturday, 19-Nov-2011 13:18:45 PST
Retrieved: Friday, 24-Jan-2020 11:42:15 GMT