THE IN SITU TREATMENT OF THE WALLPAPER IN THE STUDY OF THE LONGFELLOW NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
Thomas K. McClintock
The study of Longfellow House was originally used as a parlor and is on the first floor in the southeast corner of the house off of the entry hall. Three of the walls are covered with a wallpaper painted one shade of brown and the fourth wall is covered with wooden paneling painted white. Along the top of each wall is a wooden cornice and along the base is a wooden chair rail, both painted white. There are two exterior walls with windows and two interior walls with doorways. A total surface area of approximately 240 square feet was covered by wallpaper. The wallpaper is made up of two layers, a thicker wove paper on the outside adhered to a thinner wove paper. This was installed in 1869 over bare plaster and remnants of a block-printed wallpaper, crica 1843, and painted dark brown. At this time strips of bamboo were nailed around the edges to give the room a flavor of the Orient. In 1945 the paper was painted a lighter brown.
Curtains hang from metal bars above the window frames. Against the walls rests furniture; hanging from the walls are several framed items. There is one heating duct on the floor, and ultraviolet light absorbing plexiglas covers all of the windows.