[Table of Contents]

Re: arsclist 78 cleaning machines.

We have two of the old twin turntable Monks machines. I adapted one for
use with 16 inch discs. I have been using them for almost 20 years or so.

Over time the tubing has required replacement and/or cleaning. I have not
had to replace any parts other than tubing and the belt that moves the
arm over the record. Minor adjustments were needed every now and then. The
turntable would drop slightly on the shaft and need to be raised, but at
least on the versions we have, it has been quite reliable.

We had a single turntable version at our radio station and would clean
every disc before broadcasting. We modified the machine and added a small
washing machine water pump to bring the fluid to the brush. With such
heavy use we found that it held up amazing well. The only problems being
the same as those encountered with the ones I have in my office at the
University.

When it comes time to add more fluid and clean out the other jar, I am
always amazed at the stuff it has lifted from the records.

As for the cost...I have never understood why it costs so much. The
concept is simple enough and I find it difficult to believe that the parts
are very expensive. I can only assume that there is not enough demand to
mass produce the machine.

I have no experience with any other record cleaning machine, so I cannot
offer any comparisons.

Karl