[Table of Contents]

arsclist FW: Dick Burns

>From Richard Warren.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Warren [mailto:richard.warren@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 2:41 PM
To: Farrington, Jim
Subject: Fwd: Dick Burns

Hi Jim,

Apparently this message that I tried to send last week must have bounced,
too (I thought it had worked), because I've found that many people haven't
seen it. It's been re-written to put the funeral in the past. Would you
please send it out to the ARSC listserve.

Thanks, Richard

>From: Richard Warren <richard.warren@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Dick Burns
>
>Hello All,
>
>This message will provide information about the funeral, memorial, and
>memorial service for Richard C. Burns.
>
>The funeral was on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 in Seymour, CT, with
>burial in West Haven.
>
>Dick Burns was the best of friends and a tremendous help before and during
>my career as an audio archivist. His friendship and interest in audio and
>recordings guided my own interests (though I have none of his engineering
>knowledge) and were directly responsible for my learning about the Yale
>Historical Sound Recordings Collection and changing my life to a career
>which has lasted over thirty-five years. Dick had already moved to
>Syracuse from New Haven by the time Mary-Jo and I moved here; but we kept
>in touch regularly when Dick visited his family and on our visits to
>Syracuse (where we enjoyed meeting his many friends, including, notably,
>the Packards). We were honored to have Dick as our son's godfather and a
>regular part of our lives; and Yale HSR and its researchers have profited
>from testing and using the Packburn in all its stages.
>
>>Sue Stinson wrote a touching notice regarding Dick Burns, who passed away
>>on Nov. 4.  A memorial service is planned for Dick at the
>>Crouse College School of Music on the Syracuse University campus on
>>January 12 at 3:00PM.  Sue was unaware when she wrote that Dick's
>>friends and the family had decided how best to set up a memorial.  We are
>>pleased to announce that contributions may be made to the Belfer
>>Audio Laboratory and Archive, one of Dick's loves and a very worthy
>>enterprise that has been underfunded for several years.  Make
>>checks payable to Syracuse University Library.  The memo portion needs to
>>be filled out, indicating "Richard Burns memorial fund." Send
>>to the attention of Susan T. Stinson, Curator, Belfer Audio Laboratory
>>and Archive, Syracuse University Library, 222 Waverly Ave., Syracuse, NY
>>13244-2010 USA.
>>
>>Many consider Dick Burns and Packburn Electronics Inc. to be
>>synonomous.  In a personal note, Tom Packard has written: Dick has been a
>>tremendous
>>business associate, but most of all a friend.  Let me assure everyone
>>that the business will continue (RW adds: in fact, Yale HSR has recently
>>received its Packburn back from being updated with the latest
improvements).

>Sincerely, Richard Warren, with major assistance from Tom Packard

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.